NEWS: IDMP CEE supports national drought plan development
The IDMP Central and Eastern Europe, together with the Drought Management Centre for Southeastern Europe (DMCSEE), is working together with partners to extend technical support to the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, and the Republic of Moldova. It is drawing on the guidelines, programmatic approaches, and demonstration projects developed over the last six years in the region. Read more
Danube Drought Strategy released
Be prepared. Know the risks. Take action. The Danube Drought Strategy “Better Prepared for Drought” developed during the DriDanube project has been released. See also the Danube Drought Strategy Summary for Policy Makers.
The regional programme of the IDMP in Central and Eastern Europe (IDMP CEE) aims to increase the capacity and ability to manage droughts in the region by working in partnership with over 40 organizations building on the network of the Country Water Partnerships.
Need for regional and national drought policies
In terms of water resources management and climate change adaptation, countries in Central and Eastern Europe are sensitive to variability and changing precipitation patters. Future climate scenarios in the region forecast increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events, which will result in the increase of droughts (Climate Change 2007, the Fourth Assessment Report (AR4) of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change-IPCC). Each time a drought occurs, many of the same issues are raised in the region, such as: How much damage was inflicted, on whom, and where? Who is going to pay for it? How can we prevent, or at least reduce damages and their costs in the future?
From reactive to proactive drought management
A central goal of the Integrated Drought Management Programme is to increase the capacity and ability in the Central and Eastern European countries. By enhancing resilience to drought, it will be easier to adapt to climate variability and change.
- IDMP Regional Plan
- IDMP CEE: Compendium of Good Practices
- IDMP CEE brochure
- IDMP CEE Programme Framework
- Inception report for the GWP CEE part of the WMO/GWP Integrated Drought Management Programme
- Article on the IDMP CEE in the Weather and Climate Extremes journal
- Video on IDMP CEE by GWP CEE
- Video on Citizen Engagement for Water by GWP CEE
- Video on Small Water Retention Measures by GWP CEE
- DriDanube Project: Website, Leaflet and News
- How to communicate Drought? A guide by the IDMP CEE
- Guidelines for preparation of the Drought Management Plans
- Natural Small Water Retention Measures – Guidelines
- Natural Small Water Retention Measures – Case Studies
- DriDanube – Drought Strategy
- DriDanube – Drought Strategy Policy Brief
- Drought Watch Web Page, Video Infographic, Online Tutorial
- DriDanube Project Videos
- Summary of the first workshop of the IDMP CEE, 15-16 October 2013 in Hodrusa Hamre, Slovakia
- Summary of the second workshop of the IDMP CEE, 8-9 April 2014 in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Summary of the third workshop of the IDMP CEE, 2-4 October 2014, Budapest, Hungary
- Summary of the fourth workshop of the IDMP CEE, 21-22 March 2015, Bucharest, Romania
- DriDanube – Danube Drought Conference, 7-8 May 2019 in Vienna, Austria
- Integrated Drought Management Training for Drin basin countries (10-11 March 2020)
Find out more about the Regional IDMP for Central and Eastern Europe (IDMP CEE).